Friday, August 8, 2008

Moocher of Joy?

h'Okay so, you know how you're supposed to be really happy for your friends when things go well for them, and congratulate them and all that? I think I have a problem. The problem isn't that I'm not happy for them, it is, I think, that I am TOO happy. Like with my dear friend getting the job he wanted at VH1 (because he totally did. which I knew he would) I have been mad excited. As soon as he texted me with the info I was like, "YESSSS!" out loud, so everyone around me (I stayed home from work yesterday) was like, "What? What?" and when I explained it they just thought it was nice. But I was lit up like a Christmas tree. And I couldn't help but tell him how awesome and amazing he is, and congrats, and how proud I am (am I his mother? do I have ANY right to be proud at all? I did nothing to contribute to his greatness-perhaps it is like I'm so proud to be friends with someone like him?) and I really think I have an issue. I don't get excited about anything in my own life anymore....but any little thing that happens to him is cause for celebration and a huge grin on my face. And lately, it is the only thing that cheers me up, having him tell me how wonderful his life is going. I don't want to live vicariously through him, especially because I'm not like him in so many ways, but it seems I am freely feeding off of his joy. I hope he doesn't mind. It kind of takes me back to when we first met and first started hanging out, I told him I was just spending time with him because he was always so happy and cheerful that I just wanted to mooch off his joy. He told me that better not be the only reason we hang out. And of course it wasn't. I was falling for him at the time. So I said it was also because of his great smile (which was also true- whether or not I love him, at any given time, I will always be a sucker for his smile). Anyway, I just know I'm like the happiness leech. But I can't help but be happy for him. 

In other news, nonnie still hanging on. Yesterday I actually went in a lot. She even smiled a bit when I came in. I hope she's not in horrible pain, but I think the morphine and adovan are helping with that. 

Now, for work. 

No comments: