Sunday, July 13, 2008

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball

Oh Patches O'Houlihan. That movie always makes me laugh. Even when I fall asleep during the ending (sorry abs and ea). This weekend was the biggest mess ever. Friday I came home from work at like 10:30 with such massive amounts of pain that I was actually nauseous from it. My mom had assured me that she left out some painkillers for me before they left (Alumni Weekend, to return Monday) and yet, when I came home, nothing. So I called her to confirm, and of course she realized that she had forgotten. I then searched through my grandmothers old pills till I found the pink painkillers, took one, then another, and tried to rest. To no avail. Clancy, having had serious digestive issues since the night before, kept me up going in and out all day. I fixed nonnie lunch at some point, and at about 5-something, decided that the twins would be home soon, and I could go upstairs to try and sleep. I slept perhaps a half hour before abs came in to see if I was ok (I was not) then went back to sleeping. and crying a bit. sometimes pain is overwhelming. Then eventually I went downstairs to take more painkillers, and the girls took the laundry to be done, warning me to keep an eye on Clancy. Long story short, my pain grew tremendous, Clancy would not eat or drink and was unresponsive and shaking, so at around 9 or ten when the gals returned from the laundromat (our dryer is dead) they took him to the emergency vet, where he was given large quantities of fluid as he was dehydrated and had a 104 fever (bad news for an irish setter). They returned home at 2am, and the girls slept downstairs with the dogs. I had woken up when they got home, gotten horrendously ill, and went back to bed. Saturday, Beth had to work. I awoke lacking the ability to use my hands, as they were curled up and would not straighten, and with other random pains, but nothing serious. We called the regular vet. Out, and the on-call vet going on vacation, could not see Clancy. So we called another vet, after much pleading got in for 12. Only problem, I can't drive. Because my hands don't work. So Abs has to drive, with me in the passenger seat and our ill setter in the back, not even attempting to stick his head out the window he is so lethargic. So we get there in one piece (Abs drove very well in fact) and wait for a million years. They inspect him, go over his other records, and decide to keep him overnight for fluids, antibiotics, x-rays. We go home. I collapse onto the couch. The gals go to Panera to pick up soup for me and sandwiches/salads for everyone. They return. We view The Talented Mr. Ripley, during which Abs and I almost can't handle it. Too creepy. Kat comes home, tells us about seeing Dan and his diseased self on Staten Island. Shares her other news with the girls. We watch Dodgeball and eat. More soup for me. Sunday. We visit Clancy, they decide to keep him till Monday for an ultrasound. Tell the vet that Vivi now has the same digestive issues, he gives us meds to feed my little mongrel so she doesn't dehydrate and get as bad as the big dog. We return. I am better today (the extra prednisone at night helping my immune system stop beating the shit out of me) and Abs and I venture out to the J.Crew outlet store, where I find the most perfect pants. And other items.  I come home and call Cole, to make sure he is alright. I miss him most I think. Life is just better around him. And of all my friends, I never feel like I have to explain myself to him. We talk a bit, then I finish my book from Heather, and begin The Far Pavilions. I wonder if my parents will be mad about Maine. I hope not. I hope if I am good and call my doctors and am not sick, they won't mind so much that I am going. My party is on Saturday. I hope it works out. I hope. So yes, this weekend was madness. And now, I am up way past my bedtime. So....bon nuit.

No comments: