Today, in my Vulture Tree (the tree where my pretty vultures can usually be seen every morning on the way to hell, I mean, work) there was a strange white bird. Blindingly white. I almost drove off the road. As I'm trying to drive and see what the heck it is, I realize it is a snowy owl. In the daytime. I suppose it was confused, perhaps because it was foggy? But there, amongst my black, hunched over, depressing friends, was a beautiful, white snowy owl. It was pretty sweet.
Then the other weird thing that happened today was this horrendous story I read on cbsnews.com in the strange news section, that totally made me want to check my blood sugar every five minutes, and never eat sugar or any other carbs EVER again. So this 57 year old woman has diabetes (no specification as to whether it was type one or two). She had a hangnail on the big toe of her food (I can't remember if it was left or right). In any case, since the hangnail was still healing, she had the toe bandaged up. Many people know that foot injuries are kind of a big deal with diabetes, because there is nerve damage and you can get infections and lose the toe etc. Well so the woman apparently took a nap with no shoes or socks on, just her bandaged toe. And indeed, she did have nerve damage in her feet. When she awoke from her respite, her big toe was gone. GONE. And where, you ask, did it go? Into the mouth, and then digestive system, of her miniature dacshaund dog. Her dog ate off her toe while she was sleeping, and because she had such bad diabetic nerve damage, which caused complete numbness, she didn't feel it. At all. Subsequently, the poor dog was euthanized out of safety concern. This whole thing blew my mind. I mean, how could you completely not tell that your dog was eating off your big toe? there is bone in toes. Even if the flesh was numb, the bone would have to hurt. I just don't understand. And so now I'm like scared into being a good diabetic so that I never have numb enough toes so that Vivi can eat them off while I nap. GAK.
And thats really all I have for today. Snowy owls, and dogs that eat their owner's toes. Bleck.

No comments:
Post a Comment