Thursday, July 24, 2008

sometimes a girl needs to feel like a princess

Note the tiara made out of beads. I'm pretty sure I acquired it the year I did Miss Montville, and effectively won NO title whatsoever, so my best friend at the time bought me a tiara at the Montville Fair to make me feel special. And last night I dragged it out (not really out, just took it down from where it was hanging) because I watched Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, and damnit I thought I should get a tiara too. Whilst viewing these Disney classics, it occurred to me why I have a freakish obsession with guys with nice teeth and fabulous smiles. Because every damn prince/heroic male figure in Disney films has beautiful teeth and a winning grin. Prince Philip, as he croons to Brier Rose about having known her "once upon a dream" is flashing the most beautiful animated smile. In Cinderella, Prince Charming's (because frankly, you never do hear his real name) regal countenance is lit up with a sweet smile as he and Cinderella waltzed through the palace. And while I didn't watch the others (tonight perhaps? Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Snow White, Aladdin) I know they all have great teeth. Even the Beast as a Beast has pretty pearly whites, despite the fact that they are all pointy and sort of like fangs. But heck, when he transforms, again, it is dental perfection. And so I feel that my deep seeded attraction to men with great teeth stems from watching too many tales of true love, in animated form. Other things stem from this as well. Some hopeless romantic idea that some wonderful person is going to show up out of nowhere and love me and sweep me off my feet. And of course they will love me at first sight. Or potentially first sound-another common theme seems to be that the woman has a beautiful singing voice, and as she sings to her forest (or ocean, or jungle) friends, the prince/hero hears her "Hark, what is that lovely sound?" and even before laying eyes on her ridiculous beauty, falls for her. Better get my vocal chords back into shape, and start singing randomly to any squirrel I see. Just in case my hero is waiting around the corner. I don't know, I remember talking with the mexicans about all the things they've done for women in their lives, and then them asking me what guys have done for me, and I believe what I said was "I want a refund on romance. My love life has been crap". (of course, the things those two did for women was over the top. I might have a heart attack if any guy I liked did even a quarter of what they did). And watching disney reminds me that I have shitty taste in men, who suck at being a prince or a hero, and who never put forth the amount of effort that I deserve. I work my ass off to impress men that could care less. So yes. Even though it makes me somewhat melancholy (which, I remember hearing that word used by Mellificent in Sleeping Beauty when I was little, and thinking she was talking about cauliflower....I was weird when I was little) I will probably watch more tales of true love later tonight. Because despite the fact that it reminds me that up until this point, I've been shafted by the fates, it does remind me that, even in animated fairy tale form, love does exist. It likely has no forest creatures singing and helping with chores, nor men on white steeds, nor castles (though if I go to Ireland....), but it is there. Eventually I'll find it. And when I do, I will come home, put on my tiara, and sing to a squirrel. 

No comments: